domingo, 15 de noviembre de 2009

The Waste Land: "The Burial of The Death" by Eliot.


The Waste Land is a difficult piece of art to understand. The mixture of ideas is what makes it complex but interesting. That is why in this post I will refer to just one part of it, which is titled "The Burial of the Death".

The speaker starts defining the seasons from what she feels about each one of them. This is her point of view and her feelings through the words because she refers to winter positively by saying: "Winter kept us warm, covering Earth in forgetful snow...". From my understanding of this quotation, I believe that she feels safe when winter comes. Maybe it is the only moment that makes her forget bad memories and feel happy. It is also expressed in another line of the poem, which says, "In the mountains, there you feel free", and it is related to what winter produces on her, because in that season she and her cousin use to go to the mountains.

What I liked from this, how awesome the expression of thoughts can be. It is great the way the author mixes many aspects that makes a short poem very complex. So that is my understanding of "The Burial of the Death", it is my point of view and I still do not get exactly what he means even though I read it many times.

No hay comentarios: