lunes, 23 de noviembre de 2009

September 1, 1939 by W.H. Auden


After reading this wonderful poem, and after analysing it with my classmates, I realized how powerful it is since the author criticizes many issues trying to show the truth, the hidden truth.

The way Auden wrote this poem called my attention. He makes us look for more information that is implicit in the poem. For example, when he mentions Luther. To understand this part it is necessary to know why he mentions that name but for that it is essential to research about Luther, and then we can see the relation of this person to the poem. Also, this poem was catching because of the way he expressed through it; for example, when he refers to the hidden truth he says, "where blind skyscrapers use their full height to proclaim the strength of Collective Man". I liked this metaphor because it makes me see what he means.

Another aspect that I really liked is the strong critique to society, especially to government and religion. Auden says that those are powers that dominate people, and I totally agree with his ideas.

To conclude, this is the poem I like the best because the author's thoughts are very similar to mine.

No hay comentarios: