jueves, 17 de septiembre de 2009

The Signal Man


When I read the Signal Man, I felt kind of identified with his life. As he saw progress in society, he felt as he was in a box which did not allow him to do something. The setting of the story also has influence on what it wants to transmit to the readers. It occurs in a foggy atmosphere.

The box, the fog, progress shown in the trains that pass through the city; everything made me reflect on what is going on in my mind. I feel as if I were locked in a box where everything is dark and is difficult to make changes. I know that most of the people do not realize that what we are living as progress is a destruciton for our relationships as human beings. As a result of all the technology, people is forgettig the meaning of society, and it takes us to a darker atmosphere where no exit will be found.

1 comentario:

Clau dijo...

Do you think that’s how Dickens felt; framed in a box? Why?
Great comparison, though...it could also be that technology, as you mentioned, is the fog that doesn't allow us to see things clear, do you agree? Why?

Take care,

Claudia